Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Narrative 3: Dreaming by the Fire

"Dreaming by the Fire"
Ahh, time to rest at last. As I snuggle up comfortably in front of the warming fire, surrounded by the new toys and indulging in the Christmas aroma I think about my busy day. Christmas is always the most fun filled and most tiring day of the year. I love playing with the joyful kids and all their new Christmas presents. Their faces are lit with joy when they open each neatly wrapped present. I already know what everyone is getting because I was up late the night before, helping their mom wrap every gift. I love pawing each toy to see what it will do and if it will move. I jump back away from a mobile toy and hit it again, this time more cautiously. The kids love this and squeal with laughter every time I do it. Then they come over and pick me up tenderly. They gently stroke the top of my head; this feels so good, I close my eyes and being to purr.
I am still purring as they hand me to their mother with grace. It always amazes me at how gently they handle me. For such loud and rough kids, I would assume they wouldn't be as careful, but they always are. As their mother happily takes me into her lap, I curl into a fluffy ball as she strokes me. I am so comfortable right then. When it is time for her to start preparing dinner, she picks me up and replaces me on the couch with care. This spot is not as warm as her lap so I gracefully jump down on to the warm soft carpet and nestle between the toys, drifting off into a wonderful dream.
By the time the anticipated guests arrive for dinner, I am fully rested and cheerfully greet them with a series of meows while I excitedly rub against their legs. They pick me up and cuddle me as they step into the kitchen. I love this newly arrived family because I remember them from when I was just a newborn kitten. They are the people who adopted me one cold winter evening and gave me, as a Christmas gift, to my current family. I remember being very anxious before meeting my new family for the first time, I was nervous because I wasn’t sure if they would like me. I think it was the little red ribbon around my neck that won their hearts; they kept repeating how cute I was and constantly thanked their relatives for giving them such a generous Christmas present. This must be the reason why I love Christmas so much!
As everyone settles down to eat, I happily replace myself at my favorite spot in the house, right in front of the fire. I listen to the casual chatter of a Christmas dinner and once again, drift off to sleep. I couldn’t ask for a better Christmas present than this wonderful day. I can’t wait until next year when I get to repeat this whole day all over again!

1 comment:

david santos said...

Really beautiful!
Thank you.