Friday, May 23, 2008

Excerpt from "The Pact"

"It had been years since she'd done it, but Emily picked up a thin twig and tossed it at the pane of glass. It landed with a light snap, and bounced back toward her. She picked it up from between her feet and threw it again.
This time, a table lamp flared on and Chris's face appeared at the window. Seeing Emily, he opened the sash and stuck his head out. "What are you doing?" he hissed. "Stay here."
Seconds later he eased open the kitchen door. "What?" he demanded.
There was much she had imagined in this reunion, but anger had never been part of it. Remorse, maybe. Joy, acceptance. Certainly not the look that was on Chris's face right now. "I came to ask," she said, her voice trembling, "if you had a nice time on your date."
Chris swore and rubbed a hand down his face. "I don't need this. I can't do this right now." He turn on his heel and started back into the house.
"Wait!" Emily cried. Her words were thick with tears, but she lifted her chin and crossed her arms tight over her chest to keep from shaking. "I, um, I have this problem. I broke up with my boyfriend, you see. And I'm pretty upset about it, so I wanted to talk to my best friend." She swallowed and look at the black ground. "The thing is, they're both you."
"Emily," Chris whispered, and pulled her close.
She tried not to think of the of the unfamiliar scent of him, something perfumed mixed with something else lush and ripe. Instead Emily concentrated on the way it felt to be next to Chris again. Two halves of a whole.
-"The Pact" by Jodi Picoult. Page 149

No comments: