Monday, May 26, 2008

Community Project Explaination

For my community project, I hoped to make the cats and kittens of 9 Lives of Norton, a local cat shelter that I volunteer at, a little more comfortable.
First, I sorted and counted plastic bottles and aluminum cans for a cat shelter, 9 Lives of Norton, so they could easily take them to a bottle/can return center to get cash back. I chose to do this because I volunteer at this shelter and I thought it was a good thing to do to help out. People are always donating huge trash bags full of cans and bottles to the shelter. I noticed the bags have been accumulating rapidly recently and I know the shelter can always use some extra money. I asked Tom, one of the main volunteers at the shelter, if I could help out so one Saturday afternoon he showed me what I had to do and I started hours of counting and sorting. By returning these bottles and cans, the shelter would recieve money for whatever they needed to make the cats and kittens as comfortable as possible.
Then, the next day when I called Tom to make sure he got the list of bags I sorted, I asked if I could do anything else to help out. He asked me if I could address letters to the donors of the Adopt-A-Cage program. This program lets people sponsor a cage by paying a monthly fee, in return, the y recieve a picture of the cat in the cage and a short update of the cat. This program is the biggest fund raiser for the shelter and has attracted over 100 sponsors. So I addressed the envelopes that would contain the monthly reminder for each sponsor, which consumed a large amount of time. This did not directly make the cats or kittens comfortable but it did help out Tom, who would have had to take the time to write all the letters himself along with everything else he does for the shelter to make the cats comfortable.
I did my best to help out the shelter so they could make the kitties as comfortable as possible. This project made me see that even if people do not ask for help, they can still need it; sometimes you might have to ask if you can help them.

No comments: