Friday, May 23, 2008

Excerpt from "Songs of The Humpback Whale"

"At those Coastal Studies cocktail parties Oliver and I go to, we rub shoulders with people who'll give grant money. We introduce ourselves as Dr. and Dr. Jones, although I'm still ABD. We sneak out when everyone is going to sit down to the main course, and we run to the car and make fun of people's sequined dresses and dinner jackets. Inside, I curl up against Oliver as he drives, and I listen to him tell me stories I have heard a million times before- about an era when you could spot whales in every ocean.
"In spite of it all, there's just something about Oliver. You know what I'm talking about- he was the first man who truly took my breath away, and sometimes he still can. He's the one person I feel comfortable enough with to share a home, a life, a child. He can take me back fifteen years with a smile. In spite of differences, Oliver and I have Oliver and I."
-"Songs of the Humpback Whale" by Jodi Picoult. Page 4-5

No comments: