Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pets of The Homeless. Narrative #5

At least the days are getting warmer now. I love to sit and enjoy the warm sun with my best friend. The nights are still cold and windy so I try to keep him warm as best as I can. I haven't left his side since I was very young, I feel like I've known him my whole life. He is my best friend and I don't know what I would do without him.
I found him one day long ago just sitting by the corner of this building with his scruffy look and his dark eyes that look like they've been through too much. I didn't know him at the time so I approached cautiously.
To my surprise he wasn't scared at all. He just held out his hand and gently stroked my head. I haven't felt the feeling of a human touch in so many months. No one wants to pet you when you're a dirty dog on the street stealing food from trash cans in the alley. Except for my friend here, he didn't even think twice about it, he looked passed the dirt and my scrathes and rubbed my head like my owner used to.
The last time I can remember my owner petting me was right before he left. He pat me on the head and said, "Take care of yourself, Pal." Take care of myself? I was only a puppy, only a few months old. When he was driving away from me, I just sat and stared, hoping that maybe he would realize that he can't leave a little puppy to fend for itself. I sat hoping that he would come back until I saw the last rays of sun disappear behind the horizon. I was all alone in this feild a few feet away from a busy street. I was scared and hungry, I couldn't remember my way home either.

Before I knew it, I had made a new best friend. We did everything together and ever since that first day I have felt completely and totally comfortable, for the first time in a long time. I haven't felt this safe or loved all my life, I don't think. He always makes sure I get as much, if not more, food than he gets for himself. And he tries the best he can to keep me clean, although he can't do much without running water. But I don't mind, if he doesn't care that I'm just a little too dirty, then I don't care either.

When I'm with him, I feel comfortable. I know he won't judge me for being dirty dog or yell at me for snooping in the trash for some food. I don't ever want to live in a house again, living with my best friend is better than anything I could imagine. For a dog that has absolutely nothing, I have everything I ever needed.


No comments: